Carter Hospital was originally built as a private home in the 1800’s by Mr. Decatur Moorer. Mr. Moorer is the grandfather of Mrs. Sue Sessions. Mrs. Sessions father, John Moorer, and her husband Mr. Henry Sessions, founded Conecuh Sausage in Evergreen, Al. in 1946.
Charles and Daisy Carter purchased this home in the early 1900’s and moved from Belleville, AL to Repton, AL. They raised their four children here (Walter, William, Charles Jr. & Lynette). Later, Charles & Daisy sold the home to their son, Dr. William R. Carter. According to the Monroe Journal, “Doc” opened the home as a private hospital in July of 1935. The paper boasted that it was a “State of the Art” facility with a new X-Ray machine, along with lighting in the operating room that was equipped with a car battery as back up in case of electricity failure. In 1938, “Doc” remodeled the hospital to look as it does today.
At one time, Carter Hospital was the only hospital between Selma, AL & Century, FL. “Doc” was the only Board Certified Surgeon in this area for over 20 years.
By the middle of the 1950’s, Evergreen & Monroeville had new hospitals, so “Doc” closed Carter Hospital and continued to practice from his office in Downtown Repton as well as both hospitals. When he closed the hospital, he simply shut the door and turned the key. Everything is still as it was left in the 1950’s!
Carter Hospital is now owned by Mr. William R. Carter, Jr. In 2009 he allowed the hospital to be toured for the first time by the public and continues to allow tours on two - three dates each year. Check the events page for tour dates.